When do I need a Certificate of Appropriateness?
A Certificate of Appropriateness is required for any work resulting in a change of exterior design or appearance. A Certificate is not required for routine maintenance or repair if the original design, material and appearance is not changed. Things you can ask yourself include the following. Are you repairing and retaining existing materials? Are you replacing features using the same material and design? Are you using a new material, but keeping the same design? If you answered “yes” to any of these, you may need to fill out and submit an In-kind Repair and Replace Form.

Note that you must post your Certificate of Appropriateness, along with all other required permits, in a publicly visible location on your property. The Certificate must remain posted for the duration of your project.

Show All Answers

1. What am I allowed to do under historic district zoning?
2. When do I need a Certificate of Appropriateness?
3. What are common projects not requiring a Certificate?
4. What information do I need to provide?
5. How do I obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness?
6. When can I begin work on my project?