New roundabout traffic patterns have been implemented at two intersections beside Virginia Western Community College as part of the Colonial Ave. Improvement Project. Roundabouts are used to improve traffic flow, but it is important that all drivers understand how to safely navigate them.
For drivers who may be unfamiliar with the roundabout traffic pattern, here are the most important rules:
1. All vehicles must yield to traffic inside the roundabout before entering. Once inside, all drivers must yield to vehicles that are exiting the roundabout.
2. Always enter the roundabout and stay to the right until you come to your exit.
3. Drivers should only enter a roundabout when sufficient space is available.
4. Never stop in a roundabout, even if there is an emergency vehicle approaching. Instead, continue to your exit and then pull to the right shoulder.
5. If you miss your exit, continue following the circle until you approach it again.
Here is a video from the Virginia Department of Transportation that explains these traffic rules in greater detail:
Original Announcement Posted on Aug. 16, 2018:
Colonial Avenue is getting repaved this week and new traffic patterns will be implemented at the Overland Road and McNeil Drive intersections. Starting on Friday, Aug. 17, roundabouts with pavement markings and signage will be implemented at both intersections. Drivers are urged to proceed with caution at all times while in the work zone area. The contractor's personnel will continue to work on underground utilities, storm drain, curb, gutter, and sidewalk construction over the next 12 months. The entire project is expected to be finished in fall of 2019. The city thanks citizens for their patience as these street improvements are made.