May 2, 2022
Gun Violence Prevention Commission Grant Awards
The Star City Strong Recovery and Resiliency Advisory Panel made possible $2 million of the City of Roanoke’s American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds to support and advance the city’s Gun Violence Prevention Framework in requests. It was determined that $100,000 would be dedicated toward mini-grants and $400,000 would be slated for violence interruption grant proposals. The Gun Violence Prevention Commission’s grant review team evaluated 37 submissions, nearing $1 million in requests, over three days.
The funded grants will advance the City's Gun Violence Prevention Framework, which can be found here.
The Commission conditionally approved violence interruption grant funding to be distributed to the following organizations for activities to be completed by December 31, 2024.
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Virginia
- Children’s Trust
- CHIP of Roanoke Valley
- Cultural Arts for Excellence
- Hill Street Baptist Church
- Humble Hustle
- Presbyterian Community Center
- The Roanoke Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, Inc. (Roanoke Quaker Meeting)
- Total Action for Progress (TAP)
- WE CHARM
- West End Center Inc.
- YMCA of Virginia’s Blue Ridge
- Youth Advocate Programs Inc.
The Commission conditionally approved mini-grant funding to be distributed to the following organizations for activities to be completed by December 31, 2022.
- Anew Genesis Ministries
- Apple Ridge Farm Inc.
- Boxing and Brawling LLC
- Casa Latina Roanoke Valley
- CommUNITY Arts-reach
- Kingdom Harvest Church International
- Noah-Christian Community Center Inc.
- Peacemakers Inc.
- Roanoke Arts Commission
- Strokes of Genius LLC
- Trifecta Inc.
- United Way Roanoke Valley
Grant recipients have been notified, and the Commission will award the funding, which is subject to the final confirmation that the organizations’ planned activities meet the American Rescue Plan Act specifications.
For questions or more information, please contact Angela O’Brien at 540-853-5309, City Council Member Joe Cobb at 540-580-9645, or email [email protected].