The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) recently announced its partnership with 18 libraries and library systems across the Commonwealth to distribute COVID-19 rapid antigen at-home test kits at no cost. Roanoke Public Libraries is among the participating libraries. Its library branches will begin distributing the kits starting Nov. 17, at all six branches during regular business hours through the pilot program deadline of Dec. 31.
The program is designed to increase access to COVID-19 testing, especially among rural, remote, under-resourced communities, and other vulnerable populations. Individuals can pick up a virtually guided Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Antigen Card Home Test from the library branch, use it in the privacy of their home, and receive digital test results within 15 minutes using the eMed digital platform.
At-home test kits will be distributed curbside, and residents are required to wear face masks when picking up the kits. Individuals who are experiencing signs and symptoms of COVID-19 must have a family member or friend conduct the pick-up on their behalf, per VDH standards. Residents should call the respective library branch when they are at the curb of the location, so that staff may to come out to distribute the kit.
Listed below are the library branch locations and contact information:
- Main Branch: 706 S. Jefferson St., 540-853-2473
- Melrose Branch Library: 2502 Melrose Ave. NW, Suite D, 540-853-2648
- Belmont Branch Library: 1101 Morningside St. SE, 540-853-2640
- Williamson Road Branch Library: 3837 Williamson Rd., 540-853-2340
- Gainsboro Branch Library: 15 Patton Ave. NW, 540-853-2540
- Raleigh Court Branch Library, 2112 Grandin Rd. SW, 540-853-2240
For more information, please visit this website or email [email protected].