Roanoke, VA - A winter storm is expected to impact the Roanoke area throughout the day Friday and into Saturday. With heavy snow forecasted, travel will quickly become treacherous. Crews will be working around-the-clock to clear city streets once the snow begins. Priorities for clearing streets are:
1. major streets
2. Valley Metro bus routes,
3. neighborhood streets.
Crews will not transition to neighborhood streets until major streets have been cleared.
To give crews a better opportunity to clear snow from the streets, citizens are asked to park in a driveway if possible. If you can't do that, and parking presently occurs on both sides of your street, park on one side of the street only (the side with the odd-numbered houses). Please do not park directly across from another car, it creates a bottleneck and can slow down the process or even prevent a plow from clearing the street.
Citizens are asked to direct calls for service and information related to weather conditions to the appropriate offices that can best respond to these needs:
• Call the city’s Citizen Call Center at 853-2000, Option 8, for information on road conditions or to report a street that needs to be plowed.
• To report power outages, call AEP at 800-956-4237.
• To report problems with water mains in city streets, contact the Western Virginia Water Authority at 853-5700.
• Calls to 9-1-1 should be reserved for emergency situations only.
There are a number of ways citizens can stay informed during the winter storm.
• Roanokeva.gov will be updated with the latest information during the storm. Look for the red bar at the top of the site for the latest information on snow removal.
• Citizens can sign up for MyROANOKE e-mail alerts by visiting roanokeva.gov/myroanoke.
• The city’s social media sites will be updated with information around-the-clock. Visit our Social Media Center at roanoke.uberflip.com for updates.
• To see the city’s plan for snow removal, visit roanokeva.gov/snowremoval.