In response to challenges residents and businesses may experience in paying taxes during the COVID-19 health crisis, the City is offering temporary tax relief by extending the deadline for Business and Personal Property Tax payments by one month. Originally due May 31, these taxes are now due June 30. Business and Personal Property Tax bills will be mailed on April 15, but they will not be due until June 30. Citizens may make partial payments over the next three months to help them budget their payments and meet the June 30 tax deadline for the Personal Property Taxes.
The City Treasurer has the authority to establish a payment plan for those who are delinquent in paying Real Estate Taxes. For COVID-related reasons, the Treasurer may waive penalties and fees associated with the delinquency so long as the account is not currently delinquent with prior taxes. Residents should contact the Treasurer’s Office at 540-853-2561 about the option of paying delinquent taxes or to set up a payment plan.
Payment options for City taxes include:
- Mail your payment to Treasurer, City of Roanoke, P.O. Box 1451, Roanoke, VA 24007.
- Use the payment drop box (checks or money orders only, NO CASH!) located across the street from the City of Roanoke Municipal Building at 215 Church Ave., SW Roanoke, VA 24011.
- Pay by credit card using touch-tone phone at 1-800-272-9829 (jurisdiction code 1006).
- Pay online at www.roanokeva.gov/payments (a convenience fee will be charged for transaction).
- Pay online using eCheck: www.roanokeva.gov/payments (free service).
The City of Roanoke Treasurer’s Office understands this is a trying time for residents and businesses. The Treasurer is reviewing tax questions on a case-by-case basis. If you have questions about your tax bill, please email the Treasurer’s Office at [email protected] or mail in your bill with a note attached to the attention of Evelyn W. Powers, Treasurer.