The city’s Department of Social Services announces that the Cooling Assistance Program will begin in June. Cooling assistance provides purchase or repair of cooling equipment and/or payment for electricity to operate cooling equipment. Applications will be accepted online here, through the Enterprise Customer Service Center, and at local departments of Social Services from June 15 to Aug. 15. Assistance is based on the availability of funds.
The criteria for eligibility for the Cooling Assistance Program are as follows:
- Applicant must be a resident of the locality in which application is made.
- Applicant's household must contain at least one vulnerable individual who is age 60 or over, is living with a disability, or is under age 6.
- Applicant must have a heating or cooling expense responsibility.
- Applicant must meet the requirements for monthly gross income based on household size.
The department will have representatives at various locations in the city from June 17 to June 20, to provide easier access to individuals who wish to apply for the Cooling Assistance Program:
Monday, June 17
- West Creek Apartments – 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Ashton Heights Apartments – 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the office conference room
- Williamson Roanoke Branch Library Fun Event: Caricature – 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- West Side Apartments – 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Tuesday, June 18
- Fallon Park – 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Gainsboro Branch Library Fun Event: Summer Kids Crafts – 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Wednesday, June 19
- Horton Park – 8 a.m. To 12 p.m.
- Raleigh Court Branch Library Fun Event: Refreshments – 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Gainsboro Branch Library Fun Event: Afternoon Family Movies – 2 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Thursday, June 20
- Washington Park – 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Gainsboro Branch Library Fun Event: Lego Time – 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
For more information, contact Jennifer Hayward in the Department of Social Services at 853-2537 or [email protected].