Updated: March 19, 2020: Due to the health concerns involving COVID-19, the Roanoke Sheriff's Office lobby, as well as the lobby of the Civil Process Division will be CLOSED to the public to protect the health of our staff and the citizens. If you have questions regarding a civil paper, please call (540) 853-2721. If you need Sheriff Allen or the Administration team, please call (540) 853-5347. Thank you for your patience and understanding at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Updated March 16, 2020: Effective immediately: All attorney and professional visits will be NON-CONTACT only. Please contact Cpt. Monica Perkins if you have any questions.
Updated March 16, 2020: Fingerprinting services will be suspended for at least 30 days.
Updated March 13, 2020: Attorney and Professional will remain the same.
Updated March 12, 2020: While there are no positive cases of Coronavirus currently in Southwest Virginia, we know many citizens are concerned. We are committed to the health and safety of our personnel, volunteers and those incarcerated in the Roanoke City Jail and Annex. We are being proactive and will begin temporary changes that affect the department’s everyday operation. Some of the steps we are taking are as follows:
- Enhanced arrestee medical pre-screening process
- The Weekender Program will be suspended until April 25, 2020
- Suspended court ordered workforce program until April 25, 2020
- Suspended outside inmate work crews until further notice
- Suspending all outside volunteer programs until further notice
- Enhanced daily cleaning to maintain a sanitary environment for staff, inmates and the general public
- Physical visitation on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays suspended until further notice. Video Visitation will be made available during those times
- Ensuring sufficient cleaning supplies and personal protective equipment for the facility
We hope these steps bring you some comfort and assurance of our effort to keep our inmates, staff and public healthy.
All persons entering the Roanoke City Sheriff's Office, Courts, and Jail maybe subject to a personal search.
No electronic devices are allowed in the Roanoke City Courts or Jail. This includes, but is not limited to cell phones, tablets, laptops and smart watches.
The Roanoke City Jail is closed to the public from 11:00 to 12:30 PM daily.
**As of March 12, 2020 -physical visitation is suspended until further notice. Additional video visits will be made available. ** As of June 1, 2018 visitation at the Roanoke City Jail on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday evenings will begin at 7:30 p.m. and end at 11:00 p.m. The previous start time for visitation on these evenings was 7:00 p.m.