Knox Box Program
Design Professionals: Our Design Guideline is located here.
In order to allow rapid entry to properties for firefighters, the Roanoke Fire-EMS Department uses a designated key box and proprietary key system, utilizing the Knox Rapid Entry System (KRES). The following type properties are required to utilize the KRES system:
- Buildings equipped with fire sprinkler systems and/or fire alarm systems monitored by an outside Central Station
- Buildings with elevators
- Commercial businesses that use, store, manufacture or process on site hazardous materials that must be reported under Title III of the Federal Super Fund Amendments
- Gated Communities
- High-rise buildings
- Other properties or structures where fire department access would be delayed as determined by the fire or code official
Knox boxes shall be installed preferably at the main entrance, and at a location and height that allow them to be readily accessible. Circumstances such as the size of the property, nature of any hazards, etc., may warrant the need for additional boxes to be located on the same property.
The number and sets of keys shall be determined based on the following criteria:
- Single story, less than 50,000 sq. ft.: One set
- Single story, greater than 50,000 sq. ft.: Three sets
- Two to six stories, less than 50,000 sq. ft.: Two sets
- Two to six stories, greater than 50,000 sq. ft.: Three sets
- High-rise building/greater than seven stories: Five sets
For most applications, the 3200 series style is acceptable. For larger applications requiring numerous keys (up to 50), the 4400 series may be warranted.
Buildings equipped with elevators are required to be equipped with a Knox 1404 Series Elevator Box. The following number of elevator box sets shall be required based on the building size and/or configuration:
- Low-rise building/six stories or less: One set
- High-rise building/seven stories or greater: Two sets
An elevator box set shall be defined as the following:
- One (1) elevator door drop key
- One (1) key set as described in Key Boxes: Contents, above
Fire Department Connections (FDC): Protective Locking Caps - All fire department connections installed as a part of a new construction or renovation project shall be equipped with an appropriately sized and threaded Knox locking FDC cap that protects each connection.
Knox Box style descriptions, price lists, and order forms are available by downloading the documents below, or by visiting their website by clicking here.