Real Estate Tax Relief Programs
Contact us at [email protected] or call 540-853-2523.
Payment of Tax
Real estate taxes are due October 5 and April 5 of each year. Real estate tax payments are made to the City Treasurer's Office. The tax year is from July 1 to June 30. For detailed information on property assessment, visit the Office of Real Estate Valuation.
Tax Exemption for Disabled Veterans
In accordance with the Constitution of Virginia, as amended, for tax years beginning on or after January 1, 2011, the principal place of residence owned by any veteran who has been rated with a 100% service-connected, permanent and total disability by the Department of Veterans' Affairs is exempted from taxation. This exemption also applies to a surviving spouse of a veteran eligible for this exemption. Veterans and surviving spouses may make application at any time during the year to determine qualification. The application for exemption is available online in the list below or in-person at the Commissioner's Office in Room 213 of the Noel C Taylor Municipal Building.
Tax Relief for Elderly & Disabled Homeowners
Each homeowner who meets the following qualifications may have his or her real estate tax amounts frozen at the amount assessed at the time of application for relief:
- The property must be the homeowner's principal residence.
- Elderly homeowners must be at least 65 years of age.
- Disabled homeowners must be able to certify total and permanent disability and must be less than 65 years of age.
- The annual combined gross income of all residents of the dwelling must not exceed $42,000 (not including the first $4000 of gross income of residents other than the owner and spouse, and not including up to $7500 in disability income received by permanently disabled applicants.
- The combined net worth of the residents of the dwelling must not exceed $160,000 (not including the value of the principal residence).
Eligibility is determined according to the conditions on December 31 of each year. Applications are accepted between April 1 - May 31 of each year.