Referral for Other Legal Matters

Consumer Complaints & Landlord/Tenant Matters
Persons having consumer complaints or inquiries about landlord-tenant relations should contact the Virginia Office of Consumer Affairs in Richmond toll-free at 800-552-9963.

Criminal Matters
The Commonwealth's Attorney prosecutes all violations of state law and city ordinances occurring within the boundaries of the City of Roanoke. For information or inquiries about matters handled by the Commonwealth's Attorney, please call 540-853-2626. A special number exists for victims and witnesses who have questions about the status of the criminal matter in which they are involved, and this number is 540-853-2683.

Criminal Representation
The Office of the Public Defender provides representation in criminal matters to defendants who meet certain eligibility criteria relating to income. The Office of the Public Defender may be contacted at 540-857-7111.

Legal Advice & Representation
Referrals for legal assistance concerning private or personal matters may be obtained from the Lawyers Referral Service at 540-982-2345.

Legal Aid Society
Persons meeting certain eligibility criteria relating to income may qualify for legal assistance from the Legal Aid Society for non-fee generating legal matters, such as domestic relations, consumer complaints, landlord-tenant issues, etc. The Legal Aid Society can be contacted at 540-344-2088.