The majority of the city's solid waste and recyclables are collected by the Solid Waste Management Division (SWM)
. For specific information on collection schedules, fees and damaged or broken receptacles, please visit Solid Waste Management
or call (540) 853-2000, Option #1.
Littering is a crime in the City of Roanoke and is punishable by a fine of up to $2,500 per violation per day and confinement in jail for up to 12 months, in addition to the violator being billed for the cost of clean up plus a $100 service charge (Sec. 14.1-3, Roanoke City Code).
Help prevent litter:
- Bag your trash securely before placing it in your "Big Blue" container, and keeping the lid closed.
- Keep the lid closed on your recyclable container.
- Keep a litter bag in your vehicle to prevent loose trash from blowing out of windows and doors.
- Extinguish cigarette butts in ashcans and ashtrays. A cigarette butt can take up to 20 years to decompose. Additionally, cigarette butts on the ground often wash into our waterways, polluting streams and harming stream life.
- Adopt a city park, greenway or street to help keep public property free of litter. To become a volunteer in any of these programs, call (540) 853-1801 or send an email to [email protected].
- Visit Keep America Beautiful by clicking here.
The Sheriff's Office Inmate Work Crew Program provides litter clean-up services on public property or in the public right of way. Anyone in the city can request inmate work crew help with litter clean-up by calling (540) 853-2941 or sending an email to [email protected] with the location.