If you have any questions about the following, please contact the Resource Family Program by email at [email protected]
or via phone at 540-853-2619 or 540-853-2714.
- Learn more about foster care and adoption, the unique needs of children in care, and the requirements for approval by attending Orientation. To find out more about Orientation, please contact us.
- Talk to everyone in your home about fostering or adopting - including any children you already have. This is a commitment that involves the entire family.
- Complete an application and the required background checks. For children’s safety, this includes fingerprinting of all adults in the home. We also will complete a background check of Virginia’s Child Abuse and Neglect Central Registry for all adults and children over the age of fourteen.
- Attend pre-service training, called PRIDE (Parent Resources for Information, Development and Education). This is a nine-week series. Contact us and we will provide you with a schedule of our next training.
- Undergo a home study. During this process, you will have a Foster Parent Program Coordinator from the agency who works directly with you, answers your questions and helps guide you through the process.
- Consider your family’s strengths in determining what children you would be most successful with; complete a placement preferences and contacts form that will be used when your family is being considered for children who come into care.
At any point, if you decide that fostering or adopting is not right for you or your family, you can withdraw from the process with our appreciation for your time and interest. There are many other ways to support children and families through the City of Roanoke Department of Social Services, which we would be happy to discuss with you.