Star City Safe
In engaging with residents and citizens in the community and partnering with local organizations, the city has launched Star City Safe, an initiative focused on expanded services and access to public facilities to keep our youth and neighborhoods safe, as well as in a variety of in-person and virtual formats to keep a two-way dialogue going.
This campaign was initiated internally by the city in working together across departments from a whole of government perspective.
Teen Apprenticeship Opportunity: The City of Roanoke is looking to engage with our young residents, ages 14-18 to participate in our apprenticeship under the umbrella of our Star City Safe initiative. This initiative is focused on expanded services to keep our youth and neighborhoods safe. Part of this initiative allows youth through our Rapid Engagement of Support in the Event of Trauma (RESET) program to join our city team in a paid opportunity. Through the Teen Apprenticeship, teens will have the opportunity to learn and develop practical skills, participate in classes and workshops on and offsite, and learn job skills in various city departments to include: Facilities, Fleet Management, Parks & Recreation, Stormwater Management, and Transportation while observing all health and safety codes, completing assignments, as well as interacting with city leaders, and citizens. Participants should be team orientated, organized, flexible, and willing to assist wherever possible.
Star City Safe Shout-outs:
- Thank you, McAlister's Deli Roanoke (Towers Shopping Center), for donating sandwich platters and chips to the Star City Safe Teen Apprenticeship Program.
- Thank you, Domino's (Williamson Road), for donating pizza for the Teen Apprenticeship Workshop that took place at the Roanoke Public Library Melrose Branch.
- Thank you, Moe's Southwest Grill #4751, for the kind donation of burritos, chips, salsa and cookies to the Star City Safe Teen Apprenticeship Program.
- Thank you to the Valley View Buffalo Wild Wings for the kind donation of delicious honey-barbecue wings and potato wedges to the Star City Safe Teen Apprenticeship Program.
- Thank you to Sam's for their donation of a cake to graduating teen apprentices.