During an emergency, seconds count. But many times we cannot find your home quickly simply because you don't have your house numbers visible on your home and/or your mailbox. Here are some tips:
The best location
- The number should be posted so that it is visible from both directions of travel.
- Trees, bushes or other debris should not block visibilty from the road.
- Numbers should be placed near the front door within a radius of the porch light and above eye level.
- Avoid placing numbers away from the front door such as above garage doors.
- Do not use your mailbox as the only means of identification for your house. If your mailbox is not in front of your house or near your driveway, emergency responders cannot locate you if you do not have your house number on your house or on a post or sign in your yard.
- Remember to mark your mailbox on both sides.
- Numbers on the mailbox door may be great for your mail carrier, but are extremely difficult to see by drivers.
- Should be placed about two feet from the driveway in the direction of the house.