April 2016

April 28, 2016


Roanoke, Va.- On April 23, 2016 at 1:13 a.m. Roanoke Police responded to a report of an attempted robbery at the Papa John's in the 4500 block of Williamson Road NW.

The suspect, seen in the picture below, had already left the scene on foot before officers arrived.

A Papa John's employee told officers the suspect walked into the business and demanded money from the cash register.  The employee said the suspect displayed a large knife.  

The suspect left the store without obtaining any money or property.

He's described as being between 5'8" to 5'10" and weighing approximately 160 lbs.

Anyone with information can call our tipline at 540-344-8500.  Calls can be anonymous.  You can also send an anonymous text message to CRIMES [274637].  Please start your text message with the keyword RoanokePD: to ensure that it's properly sent.
April 5, 2016


Roanoke, Va.- On October 26, 2015 at 9:14 p.m. Roanoke Police responded to the 2800 block of Spring Road SW in reference to a gunshot wound. Upon their arrival, officers located Neal Chambers, age 62 of Roanoke, with a gunshot wound to the head lying in the yard of a residence. Roanoke Fire EMS transported Chambers to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 2:43 a.m. Officers also located Mark Alfred Paulson, age 55 of Roanoke, lying in the same yard with a gunshot wound to the head. A handgun was located next to Paulson. Roanoke Fire EMS pronounced Paulson dead at the scene.

Officers, detectives, and evidence technicians conducted interviews with witnesses, and collected physical evidence. Numerous items of evidence, including the firearm evidence, were submitted to the State Lab for analysis. 
The investigation has determined that prior to the shooting taking place, Neal Chambers was inside his home with his wife when they heard a loud noise outside of their residence. They went outside to investigate, where they discovered their personal vehicles on their property covered with leaf dust, dirt, and debris. While they were outside, they observed Paulson in his own driveway. The properties are adjacent to each other. The Chambers spoke to Paulson as to what they had heard and they were trying to find the cause of the noise, and the debris on their vehicles. Paulson was asked to come look at the cars and he walked into their yard and became verbally abusive towards the Chambers. He immediately produced a handgun and shot Neal Chambers once, who was unarmed, at a close distance and then shot himself. Mrs. Chambers ran into the house to call 911. An autopsy on Paulson shows that he was heavily intoxicated.  

Physical evidence at the scene shows that a vehicle had driven through the Chambers' yard and spun, throwing leaves, dirt, and debris onto the Chambers' vehicles. A pick up truck owned by Paulson was parked in his own driveway and had dirt and debris on it consistent with causing the damage to the Chambers vehicles.