Virginia Maintenance Code
For more details of what’s in the Virginia Maintenance Code the Building Maintenance Requirements Booklet (PDF)
is available for your convenience.
The Virginia Maintenance Code is not a detailed code like those used for new construction. It is written in “broad” language that applies to a wide variety of maintenance issues and unsafe conditions for all types of structures, from houses and outbuildings to commercial buildings.
Common violations cited by inspectors under the Virginia Maintenance Code include:
- A lack of Electricity, water service, or primary heat source
- Damaged fixtures and mechanical devices
- Damaged/broken windows and screens
- Electrical and mechanical hazards
- Holes and cracks in walls and other coverings
- Inadequate egress
- Loose handrails and guardrails
- No hot water
- Peeling paint
- Roof leakage
- Not working or missing smoke detectors
- Damaged or torn floor coverings
- Unsanitary conditions
- Weak structural supports
Report a Violation
To report a violation, call Code Enforcement at 540-853-2344 or use the City's online Service Request Form.