Wasena Neighborhood Forum
About the Forum
The historic Wasena neighborhood was one of Roanoke's early suburbs, and has maintained virtually the same character as when it was developed in the 1920s. Since its inception the neighborhood has been one of the most stable communities in the City. Wasena is located southwest of downtown and is bounded by the Roanoke River to the north and east, Greater Raleigh Court to the west, and Brandon Avenue to the south.
This historic neighborhood encompasses a variety of housing styles along tree lined streets.
The Wasena Village located on Main Street SW at the base of the Wasena Bridge along with other businesses, restaurants, churches, convenience stores, and city parks scattered throughout the neighborhood provide a number of amenities including easy access to the Roanoke River and the city's greenway trail network.
Watch a brief video of the historic Wasena neighborhood, its rich history, and the Wasena Neighborhood Forum.
- Promotes ongoing neighborhood clean up projects
- Promotes the development of safe and wholesome recreational activities for neighborhood youth
- Seeks to improve the quality of life in the Wasena neighborhood
- Seeks to maintain the design and historic character of the existing community
- Visit the Wasena Neighborhood Forum on Facebook for additional information about the organization and neighborhood activities.
- The Wasena neighborhood plan is a component of the City's 2001-2020 Comprehensive Plan that provides detailed information about the neighborhood and serves as a guide for public and private decisions regarding land use, capital improvements and other projects planned in the neighborhood.