Patio, driveway, sidewalk, parking space

The processes outlined in this section applies to the construction of a hard scape feature such as a patio, driveway, sidewalk, outdoor tennis court, or parking area on private property. Please note different processes depending on the amount of disturbed land area.

Disturbing Less Than 2,500 Square feet of Land Area

Submission Requirements

  • Completed Zoning and Basic Development Plan Application
  • Basic Development Plan (1 copy), delineating the following. A design professional is not required for the preparation of a basic development plan
    • Accurate shape and dimensions of the lot
    • Adjoining streets and alleys
    • Location and dimensions of all existing structures and hard scape features on the lot
    • Hard scape feature material type
    • Proposed location and dimensions hard scape feature(s)
  • Floodplain Elevation Certificate, if in Special Flood Hazard Area.
  • Certificate of Appropriateness, if located in an H-1 or H-2 historic district.

Other Permits That May be Required

The Right-of-Way Excavation Permit may be required if the project involves work in a right-of-way, such as driveway connections, installation of public sidewalks, and utility connections.

Review Process

Once your permit application has been deemed complete and initialized in our system (you will receive a Permit Submission Confirmation Letter) City staff has 10 business days for zoning review. You may receive comments from City staff if additional information is needed to complete a thorough review. An Additional Submissions Form must accompany any resubmission of plans or information.

Zoning permits are reviewed for compliance with Chapter 36.2, Zoning Code, City of Roanoke.

Visit the City of Roanoke's Real Estate GIS page to determine your property's zoning designation.


Fees are due at time of permit issuance. The fee for a zoning permit is $25.


If work described in the zoning permit has not begun within 6 months from the date of issuance, the permit will expire. An extension may be granted by the Zoning Administrator at their discretion at the written request of the applicant within 90 calendar days of the expiration of the original zoning permit.

Disturbing 2,500 Square Feet of Land Area or More

See Comprehensive Development Plan and Land Disturbance Permit process. The following may also be required:
  • Certificate of Appropriateness, if located in an H-1 or H-2 historic district.
  • Right-of-Way Excavation Permit, if applicable including but not limited to driveway connections to the right-of-way, installation of public sidewalks, and utility connections.