Old Southwest, Inc.
- 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
- 3rd Thursday of every month
- Historic Alexander Gish House
641 Walnut Avenue SW
Roanoke, VA 24016
About the Organization
The boundaries of the historic Old Southwest neighborhood include Marshall Avenue SW to the north, Jefferson Street to the east, railroad to the south, and 10th Street SW to the west. The historic Old Southwest neighborhood encompasses the city's largest historic district of turn-of-the-century homes on rolling hills with large trees lining the streets and historic residential properties.
In addition to the multicultural resident population, businesses, restaurants, churches, convenience stores, and the city's oldest park, Highland Park, other amenities scattered throughout the neighborhood include easy access to downtown Roanoke, the Roanoke River Blue Way, and the city's greenway trail network.
Watch a brief video of the historic Old Southwest neighborhood, its rich history, and the Old Southwest, Inc. neighborhood organization.
- Focus on efforts to maintain the historic character and quality of life of the Historic Old Southwest neighborhood and H-2 Historic District.
- Participate in crime watch activities including hosting a monthly Safety Meeting attended by Roanoke City Police.
- Host a variety of neighborhood social activities including Neighbors Helping Neighbors, Children's Easter Egg Hunt, and National Night Out, and annual Citizens Appreciation Banquet - recognizing special people who do special things in support of the neighborhood.
- Produce an annual Parlor Tour of homes each year on the first weekend in December.
- Build social infrastructure by promoting resident social activities including Food With Friends - an event where neighbors gather together in different homes for a fun shared potluck social event.
- Informative programs at neighborhood meetings on matters related to preservation, improvements, special events, neighborhood issues and more.
- Coordinate twice yearly clean up of alleys and neighborhood streets.
- Regularly publish award winning newsletter.
- Welcoming to all neighborhood residents, businesses and those with an interest in helping to preserve the historic Old Southwest neighborhood.
- Visit the Old Southwest website for more information about the organization and activities.
- Visit the Old Southwest, Inc. on Facebook for additional information about the organization and activities.
- You can also visit Historic Old Southwest on Facebook for additional information on the neighborhood.
- The Old Southwest Neighborhood Plan is a component of the City's 2001-2020 Comprehensive Plan that provides detailed information about the neighborhood and serves as a guide for public and private decisions regarding land use, capital improvements and other projects planned in the neighborhood.