The process outlined below applies to appendages attached to a building projecting over:
  • Public sidewalks
  • Streets
  • Alleys
Also, other public property or public right-of-way such as:
  • Awnings
  • Canopies
  • Clocks
  • Downspouts
  • Flags
  • Gutters
  • Light fixtures
  • Marquees
  • Shutters
  • Signs
  • Thermometers
Also, small objects encroaching on the public right-of-way that are readily removed such as:
  • Drop boxes
  • Flower baskets
  • Mail boxes
  • Newsstands
  • Planters

Additional Encroachments

Other encroachments within the public right-of-way must be approved by City Council and require a different process which is handled by the City of Roanoke's Department of Economic Development.

The encroachment permit does not preclude application for and issuance of any and all other required permits, including building, trade, zoning, and sign permits. For dining areas in the public right-of-way, see Outdoor Dining.

Submission Requirements

  • Complete Encroachment Permit Application.
  • Indemnification and Hold Harmless Agreement (signature on back of application form).
  • Survey or to-scale drawing of property delineating dimensions of encroachment.
  • Certificate of Liability Insurance.
  • Building plans and specifications.
  • Certificate of Appropriateness, if located within the H-1, Historic Downtown Overlay District, or H-2 Historic Neighborhood Overlay District.

Review Process

The application for an encroachment permit is distributed to the Zoning Administrator, Building Commissioner, City Engineer, and Risk Management for review and approval. The review and approval is coordinated by the Zoning Administrator. Upon approval, the encroachment permit is forwarded to the City Manager for required signature of approval.


There are no fees associated with an encroachment permit.