The City of Roanoke's Zoning Ordinance is contained in Chapter 36.2 of the Roanoke City Code. To view the zoning ordinance, visit the City Code and search for Chapter 36.2.
The online Municode version is up to date with the June 18, 2018 amendments incorporated.
Go here for new amendments proposed for adoption in January 2019.
Below are the amendments from recent years:
The Official Zoning Map, which delineates the location and boundaries of the zoning districts, is a series of electronic maps which can be accessed on the City’s Real Estate GIS website. The Planning and Zoning Layers consists of 15 layers. The layers pertinent to zoning include:
- Design Overlay
- Historic Districts
- Sign Overlay
Search for Zoning Designation
To search for the zoning designation of a property:
- Go to the City's Real Estate GIS.
- Click the Search tab in the upper left-hand corner.
- Select Search Method (tax number or street name)
- Enter parcel number (7-digit tax map number) or street address (enter only street number and street name; do not enter St., Ave., Rd., Ln., etc.)
- Double-click on the appropriate listing under Results. The parcel will be highlighted on the map and property information will appear at the bottom of the screen.
- To display zoning designations on the map, select Map Layers followed by Planning & Zoning Layers and select base and overlays zones to find your parcel's designation.
- Access legends for the zoning designations by expanding the drop-down box of the appropriate layer.
- Board of Zoning Appeals
- Request for Modification to Provision of Zoning Ordinance (PDF) - Administrative Modification Approved by Zoning Administrator
- Zoning Verification Request Form - City's Zoning Administrator