Neighborhood Outstanding Volunteer/Leadership Award
This award is for an individual who has given outstanding service to his or her neighborhood. You may nominate an individual from another neighborhood.
- Eligibility Requirements
- How to Nominate
- Support Documentation for Nominee
- Submission Deadline
- Judging Criteria
Any resident-led, resident-controlled city neighborhood organization recognized by the RNA and Office of Neighborhood Services is eligible to apply or be nominated for these awards. This includes neighborhood associations, homeowner associations, neighborhood watch groups and tenant associations.
- Nominators may nominate themselves, individuals residing in their neighborhood, individuals residing in a neighborhood different from their own for their efforts to improve the quality of living in Roanoke.
- The project or activity must have been carried out during the current fiscal year (June 30, 2019– July 1, 2020) or current calendar year.
- A Nomination Form must be completed and submitted by the Friday, December 18, 2020 deadline.
- There is no limit to the number of nominations that can be submitted by any one individual or group.
- Activities or contributions for which the person is nominated must not be performed as an element of paid employment.
- Contributions to the neighborhood may have occurred over the course of many years but the judges will give special consideration to recent activities.
- Nominations may include yourself, a family, family member, friend, or neighbor who makes noteworthy contributions to improve the quality of life in their neighborhood.
- The nominee may also be an individual from a neighborhood different than where the nominator resides.
How To Nominate
- Complete and submit an easy Online Neighborhood Award Nomination Form.
- A fillable PDF Neighborhood Award Nomination Form can also be downloaded, completed, and mailed with a postmark by the Friday, December 18, 2020 deadline to the Office of Neighborhood Services, Attn: RNA Neighborhood Awards Committee, 215 Church Ave SW, Room 364 South, Roanoke, VA 24011.
Include documentation such as pamphlets, website links, articles, samples, presentations, photographs, news clippings, letters of support, etc. supporting the impact and accomplishments achieved by the nominee.
There is no limit to the number of nominations you can submit.
If you are hand writing your nomination description, it be should typed or printed legibly on not more than 2 pages of 8½ inch x 11 inch paper with the name of the nominee written in the upper left corner of each page.
Complete and return the Nomination Form, accompanied by a description detailing the nominee's activities or contributions to a neighborhood or organization and why he or she should receive the Award.
The following questions are examples of criteria which may be addressed in your nomination for your nominee to be considered:
- Why you are nominating this person?
- What is his/her relationship to the neighborhood, offices held and/or board membership?
- To what level did this person motivate and/or direct others to work together in achieving a common goal?
- What was the amount of time or resources this individual committed to the organization?
- How long did this individual provide leadership, formally or informally, to the organization?
- What time, talent, money and/or materials were contributed by nominee?
- Any other interesting information relevant to nominee’s neighborhood involvement and leadership?
- What was the impact to the neighborhood and/or community at large?
All entries must be received or postmarked no later than Friday, December 18, 2020. You may submit your nomination(s) online, email your submissions, or mail your submissions to:
Roanoke Neighborhood Advocated Awards Committee c/o
Roanoke Office of Neighborhood Services
215 Church Avenue SW, Room 364 S
Roanoke, VA 24011
- Leadership - the level to which the person motivated and directed others while working on a specific project and/or while holding an office: 30 points
- Level of Commitment - the amount of time or resources individual committed to the organization (Estimated hours per year working for organization): 25 points
- Length of Commitment - how long the individual has provided leadership to the organization - formally or informally: 25 points
- Overall Effect - the level of impact produced by the individual on the neighborhood and/or community at large as a result of their leadership: 20 points