Neighborhood Improvement Award
The Neighborhood Improvement Award recognizes a neighborhood project or activity which improves, enhances and/or maintains the quality of life in their community. Your description of the project should focus on details of its planning, completion and membership involvement. Neighborhood groups may nominate their own project or the project of another group.
- Eligibility Requirements
- How to Nominate
- Support Documentation for Nominee
- Submission Deadline
- Judging Criteria
Any resident-led, resident-controlled city neighborhood organization recognized by the RNA and Office of Neighborhood Services is eligible to apply or be nominated for these awards. This includes neighborhood associations, homeowner associations, neighborhood watch groups and tenant associations. Neighborhood groups may nominate themselves, another neighborhood and/or individuals for their efforts to improve the quality of living in Roanoke.
To be considered:
- The project or activity must have been carried out during the current fiscal year (June 30, 2017 – July 1, 2018) or current calendar year.
- A Nomination Form must be completed and submitted by the Friday, October 19, 2018 deadline.
- A separate Nomination Form must be submitted for each activity or individual being nominated.
- There is no limit to the number of nominations that can be submitted by any one individual or group.
Complete and submit an easy Online Neighborhood Award Nomination Form.
- A fillable PDF Neighborhood Award Nomination Form can also be downloaded, completed, and either scanned and emailed or mailed with a postmark by the Friday, October 19, 2018 deadline to the Office of Neighborhood Services, Attn: RNA Neighborhood Awards Committee, 215 Church Ave SW, Room 312 North, Roanoke, VA 24011.
- Include documentation such as pamphlets, website links, articles, samples, presentations, photographs, news clippings, letters of support, etc. supporting the impact and accomplishments achieved by the nominee.
- There is no limit to the number of nominations you can submit.
The Description must be typed or printed on not more than two pages of 8½ x 11" paper with the name of the nominee in the upper left corner of each page. Please submit documentation such as pamphlets, articles, presentations, photographs, news clippings, letters of support, etc. supporting the impact and accomplishments achieved. Please, no video tapes.
The following questions are examples of criteria which may be addressed in your nomination:
- What was the project or activity? (Describe it.)
- What was the need or problem addressed by the project or activity?
- What resources were needed to carry out the project o activity? (i.e. volunteer time, money, donations, etc.)
- What were the results of the project or activity? What was accomplished?
- What was the time-frame of the project or activity? (i.e. dates, ongoing, one time event, quarterly)
- Who benefited from the project or activity? (i.e. number of individuals or families, level of income, age group, etc.)
- What was the impact to the neighborhood and/or community at large?
All entries must be received or postmarked no later than Friday, October 19, 2018. You may submit your nomination(s) online, email your submissions, or mail your submissions to:
Roanoke Neighborhood Advocated Awards Committee c/o
Roanoke Office of Neighborhood Services
215 Church Avenue SW, Room 312 N
Roanoke, VA 24011
- Statement of need and reasons - the level of negative impact the problems had on the neighborhood: 25 points
- Planning steps and innovation - complexity and thoroughness of steps taken to implement a workable solution and the creativity of new ideas generated: 25 points
- Neighborhood-based (grass roots) initiative - project was initiated by the neighborhood as opposed to an outside entity: 25 points
- Overall impact on neighborhood(s): 25 points