National Night Out - Roanoke's Night Out Against Crime
National Night Out (NNO), a unique crime and prevention annual event sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch (NATW), takes place each year on the first Tuesday in August. In 2015, National Night Out will take place on
Tuesday, August 4, 2015
Previous National Night Out events have involved citizens, law enforcement agencies, civic groups, neighborhood organizations, neighborhood crime watch groups, and local officials from all over the City of Roanoke. The events are designed to:
Along with traditional displays of outdoor lights and front porch vigils, City of Roanoke neighborhoods have participated in a variety of events over the years that have included block parties, cook outs, visits from local police, fire department and City officials, flashlight walks, contests, and youth programs. Participating in National Night Out is an effective, inexpensive and enjoyable program that promotes neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships in our efforts in maintaining a safe community.
Events are posted on the Roanoke Neighborhood Calendar of Events as it is received from the city's neighborhood organizations and neighborhood watch groups.
Participating in National Night Out is an effective, inexpensive and enjoyable program that promotes neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships in our efforts in maintaining a safe community.
HOW TO PLAN YOUR EVENT
- Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness;
- Generate support for, and participation in, local anti-crime programs;
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit; and
- Send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.
1. Talk to your neighbors and invite them to help.
If your neighborhood organization or neighborhood watch group would like assistance in planning your 2015 National Night Out event, please contact the Office of Neighborhood Services:
2015 EVENTS SCHEDULED TO DATE:
** Afton Gardens Apartments ** CANCELLED **
Main parking lot (at rental office)
703 Hunt Avenue
For more info, call 540-362-4827
** Airlee Court Neighborhood Watch **
LIGHT UP THE NIGHT
Coordinated effort for neighbors to 'Light the night' by turning their porch lights on
** Ashton Heights Apartments **
Community event with face painting, food, bouncy house and more
Main parking lot at 3530 Donna Drive NW
For more info, call 540-345-9325 or email Ashton Heights NNO
** Fairland Civic Organization **
ANNUAL NEIGHBORHOOD FISH FRY AND BLOCK PARTY
Vacant lot at corner of Fairland and Kirkland Ave NW
For more info, call 540-362-5097 or email Fairland NNO
** Greater Huntington Area Neighborhood Watch **
NEIGHBORHOOD SOCIAL AND SAFETY WALK
2803 Huntington Blvd.
For more info, call 540-266-7846
** Melrose Rugby Neighborhood Forum, Inc & Loudon Melrose Neighborhood Organization, Inc. **
NEIGHBORHOOD BLOCK PARTY
18th Street between Melrose Ave and Orange Avenue NW
For more info, call 540-342-2763 or email Melrose Rugby NNO
** Northwest Neighborhood Environmental Organization, Inc. (NNEO) **
2nd ANNUAL COMMUNITY PARTY
Cookout and beverages, entertainment & more ...
Loudon Park across the street from the NNEO Community Center at 802 Loudon Ave NW
- As with planning any event, the more the better!
2. Decide what kind of event you want to have:
- Block party
- Cookout or potluck
- Watermelon or ice cream social
3. Pick a time and a place.
4.. Spread the word.
- Let your neighbors know what is planned and invite them to participate
- If you need help with creating a flyer/invite, contact Neighborhood Services for assistance.
5. Depending on what your event is, encourage neighbors to bring something, such as:
- lawn chairs
- potluck items
- BBQ grills
- Trash and recycling bags
- their own plates, cups, bowls and utensils (to avoid disposables and creating a lot of trash)
6. Create a 'contact map' for your neighborhood so that everyone has an emergency contact number for each household
7. Other ideas
- if you have a neighborhood fire station, invite them directly
- Send an invitation to the police department
- Get local neighborhood businesses involved
For more info, call 540-343-5674 or email NNEO NNO
** Old Southwest, Inc. **
ANNUAL NATIONAL NIGHT OUT CELEBRATION
Complimentary hot dogs with all of the trimmings with cold beverages
Historic Alexander Gish House gazebo, 641 Walnut Avenue SW
For more info, call 540-293-4075 or email Old Southwest NNO
** Southeast Action Forum, Inc., Starview Heights Neighborhood Watch, Riverdale Farm Neighborhood Association, Kenwood Neighbors, Belmont neighborhood Association **
4th ANNUAL SE NEIGHBORHOOD CELEBRATION
Hot dog cookout and potluck; entertainment, youth activities and more. Bring your favorite dish or dessert along with your lawn chair or blanket and join in the festivities. Fallon Park, 502 19th Street SE
For more info, call 540-761-1957 or email Riverdale Grandview Heights NNO or call 540-266-8548 or email SE Action Forum NNO
REGISTER YOUR EVENT TODAY !!
All neighborhood organizations and neighborhood watch groups are encouraged to participate in this annual national event. REGISTER YOUR EVENT TODAY !!!
National Night Out Event Registration