National Night Out - Roanoke's Night Out Against Crime
National Night Out (NNO), a unique crime and prevention annual event sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch (NATW), takes place each year on the first Tuesday in August. In 2014, National Night Out will take place on
Tuesday, August 5, 2014
Previous National Night Out events have involved citizens, law enforcement agencies, civic groups, neighborhood organizations, neighborhood crime watch groups, and local officials from all over the City of Roanoke. The events are designed to:
Along with traditional displays of outdoor lights and front porch vigils, City of Roanoke neighborhoods have participated in a variety of events over the years that have included block parties, cook outs, visits from local police, fire department and City officials, flashlight walks, contests, and youth programs. Participating in National Night Out is an effective, inexpensive and enjoyable program that promotes neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships in our efforts in maintaining a safe community.
Events are posted on the Roanoke Neighborhood Calendar of Events as it is received from the city's neighborhood organizations and neighborhood watch groups.
Participating in National Night Out is an effective, inexpensive and enjoyable program that promotes neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships in our efforts in maintaining a safe community.
How to Plan YOUR Event
- Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness;
- Generate support for, and participation in, local anti-crime programs;
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit; and
- Send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.
1. Talk to your neighbors and invite them to help.
If your neighborhood organization or neighborhood watch group would like assistance in planning your 2014 National Night Out event, please contact the Office of Neighborhood Services:
201 EVENTS SCHEDULED TO DATE:
Check back often as events are added as they are planned.
REGISTER YOUR EVENT TODAY !!
All neighborhood organizations and neighborhood watch groups are encouraged to participate in this annual national event. REGISTER YOUR EVENT TODAY !!!
National Night Out Event Registration
- As with planning any event, the more the better!
2. Decide what kind of event you want to have:
- Block party
- Cookout or potluck
- Watermelon or ice cream social
3. Pick a time and a place.
4.. Spread the word.
- Let your neighbors know what is planned and invite them to participate
- If you need help with creating a flyer/invite, contact Neighborhood Services for assistance.
5. Depending on what your event is, encourage neighbors to bring something, such as:
- lawn chairs
- potluck items
- BBQ grills
- Trash and recycling bags
- their own plates, cups, bowls and utensils (to avoid disposables and creating a lot of trash)
6. Create a 'contact map' for your neighborhood so that everyone has an emergency contact number for each household
7. Other ideas
- if you have a neighborhood fire station, invite them directly
- Send an invitation to the police department
- Get local neighborhood businesses involved