Chapter 20, Article VII, of the City Code of Roanoke governs the registration and operation of mopeds. The following information defines, according to the City Code of Roanoke, a bicycle, electric power-assisted bicycle, and moped.
Bicycle means any device propelled solely by human power, having pedals, two (2) or more wheels, and a seat height of more than twenty-five (25) inches from the ground when adjusted to its maximum height (a recumbent device shall be deemed a bicycle regardless of seat height).
Electric power-assisted bicycle means a bicycle equipped with an electric motor that reduces the pedal effort required of the rider, but does not eliminate the rider's need to pedal. For purposes of this article, an electric power-assisted bicycle shall be a vehicle when operated on a street.
Moped is defined as a conveyance that is either (a) a bicycle-like device with pedals and a helper motor which is rated at no more than two (2) brake horsepower and produces speeds up to a maximum of thirty (30) miles per hour; or (b) a motorcycle with an engine displacement of fifty (50) cubic centimeters or less and a maximum speed of less than thirty (30) miles per hour. For purposes of this article, a moped shall be a vehicle when operated on a street. No person under the age of sixteen (16) years shall operate a moped on any street in the city.
· Any person who acquires a moped must register it within 15 days.
· The registration fee is $5. The fee to replace a lost or damaged registration tag is $1.
· Registration tags may not be transferred. If a moped changes ownership, the new owner must register it again with the city at the $5 registration fee.
City of Roanoke residents owning mopeds may obtain a “Moped Registration/Receipt of Payment” form from the following locations:
· Police Department at 348 Campbell Ave SW and all Police substations
· Information desk located in the lobby of the Municipal Building (215 Church Ave SW)
· Download 3 copies from the City of Roanoke website at www.roanokeva.gov
· At participating moped vendors
· At organized registration events
Complete the personal and moped information on the form. Bring the form AND moped to the Police Department, organized registration event, substation, or participating moped vendor. Authorized Police Department representatives will verify the personal identification of the moped owner using a picture ID and the verify the moped information through visual inspection. Take the approved form and appropriate payment to the City Treasurer’s Office (215 Church Ave SW).
The number plate or tag issued should be kept securely fixed in a conspicuous place on the rear frame of the moped. If your tag is badly mutilated, lost, stolen, or misplaced, the Police Department will issue another number plate or tag and will change the registration of the moped accordingly.
Any person who operates a moped on a public street shall wear a face shield, safety glasses or goggles of a type approved by the Virginia State Police; or, have the moped equipped with a safety glass or windshield at all times while operating the moped. Operators and passengers will also be required to wear a helmet that is approved by the Virginia State Police.
In general, all riders must comply with all traffic signs, signals and lights and have all of the rights and duties applicable to the driver of a motor vehicle. In addition, a rider may not:
· Ride without at least one hand on the handlebars at all times.
· Ride on sidewalks or in crosswalks.
· Ride recklessly or at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger the life, limb or property of the rider or of any other person.
· Ride a one-seater with another person.
· Ride while holding onto another vehicle.
· Turn without using hand signals or electronic signals.
· Ride out of an alley or driveway across a sidewalk without first stopping before crossing the sidewalk.
Any moped found without a number plate or tag issued and unattended will be deemed abandoned. If a reasonable attempt to locate the owner or user in the immediate vicinity fails, the moped will be taken into custody and impounded by the Roanoke Police Department.