Stormdrain Inlet Art
As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. Imagine what artists could communicate about improving Roanoke’s water quality. To celebrate the City of Roanoke's 10 years of public art we are seeking qualified artists or artist teams to transform six storm drains in the City of Roanoke into works of art. Creating Inlet Art will not only draw attention to storm drains "hidden" within the City sidewalks, but will also raise awareness about stormwater pollution. Few people realize that litter, trash, and other pollution sources like sediment, bacteria, oils, and yard waste left on City streets wash, untreated, into the nearest creek, stream, or the Roanoke River. Raising awareness through visual expression has been successfully implemented in other communities and we believe it will be an effective next step in preventing stormwater pollution from entering Roanoke's waterways. The City's Stormwater Utility along with the Roanoke Arts Commission invites artists to submit their ideas for this project.
Click through the slides below to view the selected inlet sites.
Responses due by November 21, 2017
Artists notified by December 15, 2017
Storm drains to be individually assigned by December 30, 2017
Final drawings due by January 30, 2018
Selected artists will attend pre-painting meeting with City of Roanoke Stormwater and Office of Arts and Culture staff in February – date TBA
Artist will complete work by April 15, 2018
Promotion and celebration will occur as part of Earth Day April 22, 2018!
Each Artist is asked to submit the following materials electronically to email@example.com
1. Statement of interest, which describes your vision for this project and how your design will use art to educate about the importance of our local storm drains as a conduit to streams and rivers.
2. Contact information for two professional references for which you have done design or art work in the last five years.
3. A rough sketch of your proposed design(s) in the colors you plan to use. The sketch should be detailed enough that the committee can get an idea of the artwork. You may submit up to four designs. Note – Final drawings which fit assigned storm drains will be due after the artists are selected
4. A current resume with contact information, including a web site if applicable.
5. The artists may request to paint a particular storm drain but the final decision will be up to the selection committee.
All responses to this Request for Unsealed Proposals shall be submitted via mail on or before 2:00 p.m. on November 21, 2017 to the address listed below:
Check out these inlet art project from around the country.
St. Louis Storm Drain Art Education Program
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - Storm Drain Murals
Think: Columbia's Storm Drain Mural Project
Knox County Storm Drain Style-Off
Upstream Art: Storm Drain Murals for Water Quality